Q: Trouble starting when the engine warms up, humming noise

When I try to start the car in the morning after it sat for the night and the engine is cold, it starts immediately and runs great. However, after the engine is warmed up, it develops starting problems. If I drive it and park it for a short while and attempt to start it again, it would take me about half an hour to restart the car. When I continue driving, it would make humming sounds as well. Moreover, the dashboard keeps showing the service engine soon warning on and off. The battery checks out fine. What is causing this?

Thanks for writing in about your 2000 Saturn LS2. This sounds like an ignition module or a starter problem. When the ignition module or starter are subjected to extreme heat when faulty, it will cause the same symptoms you are describing. This is a known issue among many manufacturers. This can be a difficult problem to detect and would need a trained eye. Have a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your starting problem and make the right repairs.

3. Trouble starting when the engine warms up, humming noise