Q: Tried to start the car, wouldn't turn over.

I haven't driven the car in a few days, walked outside to start it but it wouldn't turn over. Engine would seem almost as if it was going to catch, but wouldn't go all the way. Checked the oil levels, and they were super low and dark. Added more oil up until the high level mark. Car still won't turn over. The 'Check Engine' light comes on when I am trying to start it.

I have been doing regular oil changes.

Has the battery been checked already? A weak battery may cause your symptoms where you try to start the engine and it sounds as if it would try but there just isn’t enough juice. If the battery test fails or if the vehicle starts up when jump started, look into a battery or charging system issue. If there is sufficient power and the engine will not turn over, a technician can try to turn the engine manually at the crankshaft bolt. If the engine binds up while trying to rotate by hand, there is the possibility of an internal engine failure. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out for a closer inspection of the vehicle and offer a more personal diagnosis of your no start condition.

3. Tried to start the car, wouldn't turn over.