Q: Transmission wont go into gear

When i put My transmission into drive or reverse it doesn't do anything it won't move at all their was no slipping or anything. Is their anything that can cause it that I should check. We had the cruise control set and then it started raving and no movement so I stopped and shut it off then restarted car . Starts up fine and it won't move.

A: Check to see if the transmission will engag...

Check to see if the transmission will engage in Low, 1, or 2. You can shift manually to those positions. If it does engage, that could signify a broken apply band (such would require rebuilding the transmission). If the transmission won't engage manually in any gear, there are a variety of causes examples of which include: broken shift linkage; faulty manual valve and/or valve body faults, hydraulic pump has failed, hydraulically actuated pistons have broken seal(s). A pressure test (there is a test port) would give an indication of whether the pump is working and also whether the correct pressures are being generated in the various manually selected gears. Beyond these simple, initial possibilities it requires an in person diagnosis. YourMechanic is a mobile service as you may know and thus could come to your location to diagnose this transmission issue for you and give you a suggested repair strategy and options.