Q: Transmission won't go

Temperature gauge has been one notch higher this past week. Today, my transmission had a small leak, but later the car wouldn't go in drive or reverse. It just totally out if the blue wouldn't move at all. I had to get a tow truck.What's going on?

A: Hello. If the transmission was <a href='htt...

Hello. If the transmission was leaking then the fluid needs to be checked first. If it got low enough then this can occur. If it is low then I would add some fluid and see if it helps. If not then you may have a transmission failure. I would usually change the fluid and check its condition. If it is really dark or smells burnt then the transmission is failing. As for the temperature, I would check the coolant level. Low coolant will cause this. The engine in your Chevrolet Malibu has a history of overheating problems, typically from a failing intake manifold gasket that leaks. If the coolant is full then it may have a failing thermostat. If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this issue.