Q: Transmission won't go

Temperature gauge has been one notch higher this past week. Today, my transmission had a small leak, but later the car wouldn't go in drive or reverse. It just totally out if the blue wouldn't move at all. I had to get a tow truck.What's going on?

A: Hello. If the transmission was leaking then...

Hello. If the transmission was leaking then the fluid needs to be checked first. If it got low enough then this can occur. If it is low then I would add some fluid and see if it helps. If not then you may have a transmission failure. I would usually change the fluid and check its condition. If it is really dark or smells burnt then the transmission is failing. As for the temperature, I would check the coolant level. Low coolant will cause this. The engine in your Chevrolet Malibu has a history of overheating problems, typically from a failing intake manifold gasket that leaks. If the coolant is full then it may have a failing thermostat. If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this issue.