Q: Transmission whining in lower gear

My transmission is shifting harsh. I would also like to know how much it would cost to upgrade my powertrain control module and my transmission control module. I can also hear a whine when in a lower gear.

A: A harsh shift on this vehicle can definitel...

A harsh shift on this vehicle can definitely be caused by a programming problem. It can also be caused by very dirty fluid or a pending internal failure. You can alway try having the modules programmed first to see if it fixes it. As for the cost, this can typically only be updated by a mechanic or dealer, and they usually have a standard of 2 hours of labor for programming. I'd recommend having a certified mechanic from YourMechanic inspect the transmission's whining sound and determine whether an upgrade of your PCM and TCM is recommended.