Q: Transmission slipping not shifting (washer pump stopped at same time).

The transmission is slipping and not shifting. It will shift into first then second then stops shifting. When I slow down it shifts straight to first and revs like downshifting a manual. I don't know if it is pertinent but the washer pump stopped at the same time this happened.

Checked fluid level - it is good the fluid is smooth and I don't smell anything.

I have not flushed and filled or changed the filter in the 6 years I have owned it.

Hi there. If the transmission is shifting into 1st gear and 2nd gear, then it is not slipping. The transmission shift pack solenoid ’B’ has failed and only the 1st and 2nd gears work. The 3rd and 4th gear needs to have an overdrive clutch engaged and is obtained by the shift pack ’B’ solenoid. The harsh down shift is the low / reverse clutch engaging as the vehicle is slowing down. This clutch will activate on in the event the downshift solenoid stops working. I recommend replacing the shift solenoid A and B pack and also replacing the down shift solenoid. If you need further assistance with your transmission not shifting into 3rd and 4th, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• Transmission slipping not shifting (washer pump stopped at same time).