Q: Transmission shifting funny in traffic

I just bought a used 2010 Camry LE 4cl with 40k miles. The car was fine on the test drive, but I've now noticed that it shifts erratically in stop and go traffic and just in general at lower speeds (under 15 MPH). So annoying! I feel like I'm getting whiplash. Also, it seems to happen only after driving for a little while. Which would make sense considering it didn't happen on the test drive. What's going on?

A: After doing some research, my suspicions we...

After doing some research, my suspicions were correct about this matter. In order to improve fuel economy, the computer for this engine and the computer for this transmission, have the ability to learn your driving habits and in turn adapt to them. Due to this vehicle being brand new to you, the vehicle has not been able to re-adapt itself to your own driving habits. Toyota is aware of this concern and has issued a technical service bulletin which guides technicians on how to correct the drivers worry over this matter. This is a straightforward process of re-calibrating both the engine and transmissions computer with a dealer specific scanner. It will update and reset the computer to factory condition. Therefore it is vital you visit a Toyota dealership to resolve this issue. This process will allow the vehicle to learn and adapt to your specific driving habits and therefore provide a smoother shift. It’s also important to note that it can take several hundred miles for your car to adapt to your driving.