Q: Transmission shifting delay

i bought a clean 1999 dodge dakota v6 3.9 magnum auto. sometime it start off in second gear. sometime it stay in second till i beat it almost to redline left the gas and go normally then it shift into 3rd. 99% of time he wont shift into 4th gear. sometime , rarely , at 80-90 km/h it feel like a mini overdrive that lower the rpm from 2.3k to 2k or 2.1k but it is not the 4th gear.

A: Hello. This may be a result of low transmis...

Hello. This may be a result of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car's computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting, or in some cases, cause the car to not shift at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to diagnose the shift issue and advise you on the correct repairs.