Q: Transmission rebuilt

Rebuilt my transmission, Worked for a couple of days. Took it back a few weeks later stuck in second , now they want $800 to replace speed they said they fixed it again sensor in transmission... What can I do? Already paid 1,300 to rebuild! Took it back 3 times Please HELP! Thank you

Hello, thanks for writing in. Presumably there is a warranty on the work they have performed (if not, your state Consumer Protection laws specify what your rights are with regard to auto repairs of this sort and/or contact your state Attorney General’s office).

If the component that they claim has failed is integral to the transmission and they rebuilt the entire transmission, then they are responsible for repairing the fault at their cost under warranty. A rebuilt transmission has to work for a reasonable period of time without causing you new or continued headaches. If it doesn’t, then the job probably wasn’t done right.

I recommend to try to reason with them but if that doesn’t work you will have to seek recovery through the usual mechanisms (Attorney General’s office, etc.) Try working it out with the shop but before you discuss it with the shop further, visit the AG’s office so that you can fully understand what your rights are and what options you. That way, you can more confidently and intelligently discuss the matter with the shop.

If we can help further, don’t hesitate to re-contact us.

3. Transmission rebuilt