Q: Transmission problems and the car is pretty new

My 2007 Ford Focus just reached 85,000 miles and I am having a serious problem with the automatic transmission. It's slow in finding a gear and revs high between shifts. I'm not sure what happened to cause these problems, but I really thought a practical car such as this would go farther without needing a major part of the drivetrain replaced! Now I'm unable to drive the car and the transmission won’t shift out of first gear. Will this problem go away with a new transmission?

A: The transmission on your car has electronic...

The transmission on your car has electronic controls and shift solenoids which control gear changes. I suggest getting a thorough test on your transmission to determine possible causes of the failure before overhauling the transmission. The computer should be scanned for codes and all wiring should be checked. Check the transmission fluid for signs of being burned or contaminated. The transmission cooler and lines should also be flushed out. Since your car is not drivable, contact YourMechanic to check the transmission and get a diagnosis so you do not replace the transmission if only a solenoid in the transmission is bad.