Q: Transmission not shifting when engine is running, works when engine is off

Hi i hope you can help me with this problem. Im going to buy the car and the problem is thr transmission i cant shift it when the engine is running but works perfectly when the engine is off. If you shift in when on and put in on gear it will run but you can't shift it. Its a ford focus 2001 manual trans 200k+ mileage. Thank you

It sounds like the clutch will not disengage, which means it either has a failed clutch component or a failed hydraulic component. There is a very real possibility that the transmission will need to come out to repair this issue. The transmission may also have worn or failed synchronizers, which help the gears to go in and out smoothly. The shift issue should be diagnosed by a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic. You ideally want to do this before you agree to buy this car, as it could be very expensive.

• Transmission not shifting when engine is running, works when engine is off