Q: transmission leak

I have a dodge Durango 1999 slt magnum 5.2 v8 it was leaking transmission fluid the other day and today not a drop. The fluid level is still in safe. Why would it leak almost 2 cups of transmission fluid on the ground and the next day seem to be fine?

A: Have you had your vehicle serviced lately? ...

Have you had your vehicle serviced lately? It is possible that your transmission was not filled properly leading to overfilling the transmission. As your vehicle reaches operating temperature, the fluid level can rise causing the extra transmission fluid to be purged out through a vent on the transmission case.

Also check your power steering fluid. Often, transmission fluid is used as power steering fluid, so a leaking steering system may appear to be a transmission fluid leak. Refer to your factory service manual for correct transmission filling procedures or have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, verify proper fluid levels.