Q: Transmission just plain doesn’t work

The CVT transmission failed in my 2007 Jeep Patriot at only 75,000 miles. A transmission should last longer than that! Warranty is no longer valid on vehicle. How can I replace this transmission without breaking the bank?

A: Your question indicates that you know your ...

Your question indicates that you know your transmission needs to be replaced. If this is indeed the case, and you are looking for the economical solution, there a few ways you can go. Look into the following solutions and decide which is best for you: Good old fashioned comparison shopping can give you an idea of what is a good price on this repair. Ask what they would charge to install a rebuilt transmission in your vehicle. In the end, it is what it is. Ordering a rebuilt transmission yourself online from a reputable source can reduce costs significantly. This may take a little more doing, such as eventually returning a core to them. But may still be cost-effective. Another thing to consider also is that the shop that does the installation won’t warrant the job with you supplying your own transmission. You can locate a transmission match in a wrecking yard. Sometimes a vehicle is totaled from an accident, but still has perfectly functioning transmissions in them. You will often pay a much lower cost here. But again, know that the shop doing the installation will not warrant the repair.