Q: Transmission issues, P0742 code

Something has gone wrong with the transmission on my car. On one occasion, I couldn't accelerate past 50 mph. I had the oil changed. After reading the codes, there was a P0742 code, indicating that "torque converter clutch circuit is stuck on." I am now wondering how serious this is and how it can be fixed. Can you give me some advice please? Thank you.

The torque converter clutch solenoid may be stuck on or off and causing the problem or you may have an internal problem with clogged passages for the solenoid. Have the solenoid diagnosed and replaced then see if the problem goes away before a more expensive repair, such as overhauling the transmission, is done. I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, thoroughly diagnose your Check Engine Light code to verify what repairs are needed.

3. Transmission issues, P0742 code