Q: Transmission issues? 2003 Honda Accord

The dealer did a transmission diagnostic on my car and I was told that the axle has movement which they said is a symptom the differential is going out. Just wondering if this is a common problem and how damaging it can be to the transmission? How likely is my transmission going to fail? I haven't noticed any problems with the car shifting at all. Thanks. My car has 135000 miles. My car has an automatic transmission.

Hi there - this transmission has had its problems, including a Recall (# 04V176000) for inadequate internal lubrication issues causing a loss of 2nd gear and worse. Check with Honda to see if this recall has been applied to your Accord. It could be related to this problem. It would normally seem unlikely that axles would cause undue wear on the differential. You would hear a whine and possibly experience fluid loss at the axle seals if the differential were wearing abnormally. If the response from Honda is inadequate, I recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Transmission issues? 2003 Honda Accord