Q: Transmission issue, cannot be put into park

My van has developed some transmission issues lately and won't shift into park. I have to start the van in neutral and then put it in drive. I would then pull off the linkage and shift into park so that I could take the key out of the ignition. After I put the linkage back on, it still wouldn't shift into park. What could be the problem?

Hello, thanks for writing in about your 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. It sounds like you may have a misadjusted or worn shift linkage cable. However, there is a safety recall (G28- Ignition/Park shift interlock) Chrysler Dodge implemented for this as a similar problem. The issue you are having may be fixed under warranty.

3. Transmission issue, cannot be put into park