Q: Transmission fluid leak dipstick - 1981 Mercedes Benz 240D

The main problem with my Mercedes is my automatic transmission. I found a little puddle of transmission fluid on the garage floor a few weeks ago. At first I thought the leak was coming from the junction of the dipstick and the transmission. But then I noticed a small drop of fluid coming from the top of the dip stick. I took a closer look and it appeared to be pushing its way out of the top of the dipstick tube. Do you know what this might be and what I should do?

Hello. It sounds like the transmission may be overfilled and the fluid is being pushed up through the dipstick tube. There may also be a problem with the torque converter leaking or some of the internal parts of the transmission malfunctioning. I would suggest that you take your car to a transmission shop as soon as possible to have the problem inspected and repaired. Alternatively, if you would rather have the vehicle inspected at the car’s location before taking it to a shop, a certified professional from YourMechanic can diagnose the transmission fluid leak and advise you on the best path to repair.

3. Transmission fluid leak dipstick - 1981 Mercedes Benz 240D