Q: Aftermarket Performance Products - Tuning Problem

Sir, I have a 2006 jeep grand Cherokee srt8. I started to put performance parts on the vehicle recently. I recently tried using a Diablo Sport tuning kit. My jeep was running normally and once I added a tune to the vehicle computer the check engine light came on. Once I put the vehicle in drive it would jerk really bad and wouldn't accelerate forward or accelerate in reverse. Now the vehicle is completely shut. Once I turn it on and try to shift to drive or reverse it won't do anything at all. What I'm trying to figure out is if it's a transmission problem or a computer electronic problem. It never had a Transmission problem before. This issue only started after this modification to the computer. Is there anything that I could do? Thanks for your time and assistance.

A: Hello - your problem is most likely with th...

Hello - your problem is most likely with the electronics, the transmission controller, rather than the transmission. But since the engine and transmission controller communicate with each other, the first task is to read the problem codes which are setting the Check Engine light. Most auto parts stores will read these for you for free. Once you have the problem codes, you might call Customer Support at Diablo for their advice. Another alternative is to revert back to the last running configuration you had for your Jeep. Modern vehicle drivetrains (engine/transmission) work within well-specified conditions. When you start modifying them, you risk moving off the "map", or set of conditions the manufacturers designed for. I would recommend having a professional mechanic diagnose your current, non-running condition. A mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.