Q: Transmission not operating correctly.

I have used YourMechanic before, but don't think this can be done, in my drive way. Van stopped moving, while driving. On side of road, found passenger side wheel was not engaged. When spinning wheel, it felt like axle splines were not quite seated. With very limited tools, I banged and pushed to ensure axle was seated. While it did not seem to move, it did engage. Van drove with no symptoms, until it happened again, after few hundred miles. Then knowing I was wrong, I pulled axle, hoping to see splines gone or chewed, indicating it was not fully seated. Axle was perfect. In all the movement and jostling, something re-engaged. Van made it almost around the block. I was/am convinced problem is inside transmission and was hoping it would move long enough to get to a shop. Now for the question: is there any chance it is not internal transmission problem (sensor, control etc.) and YourMechanic can repair? If not, can you recommend shop for Kia transmission repair/rebuild

Hi there. There could be a couple things wrong. Either the transmission has indeed failed inside with the final drive differential bearing, or the wheel hub has spun out the splines. Check the splines to the wheel hub and see if the splines are there or damaged. If the splines are damaged, then I suggest replacing the wheel hub first. If the wheel hub splines are good, then I recommend rebuilding the transmission or replacing the transmission. If you are looking for a transmission expert then dealerships will perform the work, but if you have a budget, then I recommend taking your vehicle to an AMMCO transmission’s shop, or a Brakes Plus shop in your area. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your transmission not working.