Q: Transmission

When i put my car in drive i can only get over 15 mph then when i put it in 3rd i can only get to 40 mph what do that mean

You are having a computer sensor failure that is causing the engine control module (ECM) to go into failure management mode which limits the throttle opening. This will happen until the problem is fixed. You will need to have the ECM scanned to check for and diagnose any codes in computer memory. If you need help with this, a technician from YourMechanic can inspect your acceleration and transmission issue and recommend the appropriate repairs to have this fixed.