Q: Trans problems no drive or overdrive sometimes

Have a 03 GMC Sierra 5.3 4l60e. Was going down the road the other day around 55 and I lost drive and overdrive. Pulled over put it in park and checked fluid it was full. Got in and I was going to baby it home but both gears came back and worked fine then the problem Started coming back more and more until it completely quit. Let it sit for a day or so and hoped in to go to the trash dump and both gears were working fine took it to my old boss man to check it on the computer. Showed a trans fluid pressure switch code.im confused of that's going to fix the problem and I'm also not quite sure what to buy and how to change. I've worked on cars for years but never messed with trans

A: The switch is inside of the transmission. I...

The switch is inside of the transmission. I would recommend having the transmission checked and service by a qualified transmission mechanic so you do not put money into a unnecessary repair. A mechanic can pressure test the transmission to see what the cause is and then quote a repair accordingly.

A code in the computer is only an indicator for a mechanic to know what specific area in the transmission is having a problem. The code will possibly lead to the failed part for an accurate repair. If you'd like a second opinion on this, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose your gear issue firsthand.