Q: trans not shifting past second gear going fast

I have a 1994 c3500 turbo diesel automatic. If i drive slow taking off it shifts smooth and normal. If i take off quickly it wont go pAst second gear. i just got the truck. The guy who had it said he would stop. Shut it off for 2 minutes and start it and go about 2k rpm and would shift fine. Fluid is full and looks normal. Could this be the vss?

After looking into this problem, you may have one of many different problems. The computer EPROM may not be shifting when under pressure of hard acceleration and will need to be replaced. The sprag unit in the transmission may be bad and need to be replaced (require overhaul of transmission). Have the transmission checked out by a mechanic to verify the problem and diagnose your shifting issue for needed repairs.