Q: Trailer lights go out when we hit the brakes.

We installed new lights on an old trailer, it was a 3 prong system, to connect to our 2000 Chevy Silverado. The lights come on when we hook it up but when we hit the brakes the lights go out.

Hi there:

In most cases this electrical issue is caused by a faulty ground to the trailer brake relay or an issue within the trailer brake controller (assuming your 2000 Chevrolet has one installed). The best way to solve the problem is to recheck your ground connections from the recent install or contact a local mechanic to complete an electrical problems inspection.

3. Trailer lights go out when we hit the brakes.