Q: Toyota dealer says I need a new wheel hub & bearing assembly & wants to charge over $500.00! I won't use them but how serious?

Toyota dealer says I need a new wheel hub & bearing assembly & wants to charge over $500.00! I won't use them but how serious is this? They told me my wheel might fall off.

Hi Kelly. Thanks for contacting us today. A damaged wheel bearing is a rather serious safety concern. As the bearing loses lubricity, excessive heat is built up, which causes the squealing noise, but also can cause it to snap off the hub assembly. This is what the dealership is referring to in regards to the wheel falling off. Fortunately, you don’t need to have the dealership complete this service - as one of our mobile mechanics can come to your location to complete the wheel bearing replacement. It is recommended to replace both bearings on the front axle (just like brakes). You can receive an estimate to have one of our mobile mechanics come to your location to complete the wheel bearing replacement by clicking this link.

3. Toyota dealer says I need a new wheel hub & bearing assembly & wants to charge over $500.00! I won't use them but how serious?