Q: Took my car through inspection and it passed. Did emissions and I was told that I need to replace the muffler catylic converter and o2 sensor. Is this true?

Passed inspection but failed emissions needed muffler catylic converter and o2 sensor. I replaced the muffler but now car wont start. Could the catylic converter or o2 sensor cause the car to not start

Hi there. From the description you have provided, your vehicle passed inspection but failed emissions, this would lead me to believe the Check Engine Light is on. Knowing the code(s) could help with diagnoses.

A plugged catalytic converter(s) could prevent the engine from starting. You should have noticed, an overall loss in power while driving, prior to the no start.

The O2 sensor is less likely, I have not run into a faulty O2 sensor causing the engine not to start. It could be, a lack of fuel delivery or spark, ie; the fuel pump, the crankshaft position sensor, the camshaft position sensor, an electrical problem, are all possibilities.

Sine you can’t get the car going, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come diagnose your starting issue and help you make the necessary repairs at your own location.

3. Took my car through inspection and it passed. Did emissions and I was told that I need to replace the muffler catylic converter and o2 sensor. Is this true?