Q: Too much noise coming from the AC

The heater/AC in my 2007 Chevrolet Impala makes a horrible clicking noise sometimes. I have read that the actuators can fail and cause that issue. How big of a repair is this? I hear the clicking from deep inside the dashboard, so it sounds expensive. This car has 59,000 miles on it and I don’t know if I even want to pay to have the parts looked at if it involves taking the dash out! What can I do?

The A/C system in your vehicle has electronic blend door and temperature control actuators that are prone to failure. When these parts fail, the vehicle occupant(s) will experience either one of the following results: the occupant(s) will not have control of where air blows out as air will blow into the vehicle from only one position or there may be a clicking noise when changing air direction. The same could happen when trying to control temperature. The actuators are little motors with two wires attached. The motor stops working or the motor gets weak and the a/c module keeps running the motor when the blend door gets to the stop mode and you just hear clicking. The fix is to replace the actuator that is failing. Before replacement of actuator you could try to set the calibration of the actuator again through a Tech 2 scanner. The module counts the pulses of the motor to determine door position. I have found that a failing actuator most of the time will need to be replaced and reprogrammed to work properly again. The actuator is located on the left side of the evaporator case and will require removal of the dash assembly to gain access to replace sensor. The new sensor will need to go through the reprogramming with the Tech 2 scanner. Note that the temperature door actuators should be checked and replaced during mode door actuator replacement.