Q: Tires would not turn with steering wheel

When leaving a large parking lot (in a rural area), as I began to back up and turn left, I could not turn the wheels. When I turned the steering wheel, the tires only moved about an inch. To explain how much I had turned, the Chevy logo on my steering wheel was totally upside down. I had to have the car towed to the dealership. They reported to me that from the steering mechanism, four pins had fallen out. This is a Very dangerous problem. If I had been on the highway or interstate, this could have caused very serious conditions and outcomes. Before I have them repair this problem, what is your assessment of this and how it should be handled?

A: Hello there. I’m not exactly sure which &qu...

Hello there. I’m not exactly sure which "pins" you mean. I’m guessing maybe the intermediate shaft bolts? Chevy had issues with intermediate shafts on full-size trucks, but I haven’t heard of anything with the Tracker. This is something that would require first hand inspection. If you’d like a second opinion on this, a certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the steering problem and help you move forward with repairs.