Q: Tires would not turn with steering wheel

When leaving a large parking lot (in a rural area), as I began to back up and turn left, I could not turn the wheels. When I turned the steering wheel, the tires only moved about an inch. To explain how much I had turned, the Chevy logo on my steering wheel was totally upside down. I had to have the car towed to the dealership. They reported to me that from the steering mechanism, four pins had fallen out. This is a Very dangerous problem. If I had been on the highway or interstate, this could have caused very serious conditions and outcomes. Before I have them repair this problem, what is your assessment of this and how it should be handled?

Hello there. I’m not exactly sure which "pins" you mean. I’m guessing maybe the intermediate shaft bolts? Chevy had issues with intermediate shafts on full-size trucks, but I haven’t heard of anything with the Tracker. This is something that would require first hand inspection. If you’d like a second opinion on this, a certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the steering problem and help you move forward with repairs.