Q: Tire suffered puncture.

My tire got punctured with a big nail. I need to know if I can just have it patched or do I need to replace it.

A: When it comes to tire repair a few things n...

When it comes to tire repair a few things need to be verified before it can be patched, every tire manufactured for sale has a date on it, it follows a dot and will look like xx/xx the first two digits being the week (01-52) and the second being the last two digits of the year so a tire with a number dot 24/15 would have been manufactured the 24th month of 2015. It is against federal law for any shop to repair a tire or even add air after a tire has reached its 5th year. Another factor would be where the puncture occurred, any sidewall damage is not repairable neither the one-one and a half inch outer edges of the tire as a patch will not hold if its put in the corner of the tire where the side and tread meet. If it passes that criteria and the hole is no wider than a 1/4th inch it is generally repairable.