Q: Tire steel belt broke, cut ABS wiring, ABS lights on; local mech tried repair, says computer no reset. Dealer? Cost?

What will this cost me if I take it to the dealer? The ABS wire was cut by the broken tire steel belt. The ABS light came on of course. I took it to a local shop who said they can replace the wiring, but their computer will not read the codes and reset. If I take this into the dealership, can you give me an idea what it might cost?

Hello. The cost of this repair depends on what wires were cut. Most of the time the wire that would be damaged is a wheel speed sensor wire. This would then require that the sensor be replaced and the ABS system reset. Though your shop cannot do this it does not take the dealer to fix it. You simply need a technician that has the right scan tool. If you want to have this ABS problem fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your to [diagnose what needs to be replaced to fix the ABS system] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/abs-light-is-on-inspection

• Tire steel belt broke, cut ABS wiring, ABS lights on; local mech tried repair, says computer no reset. Dealer? Cost?