Q: Tire pressure sensors are on the fritz

The tire pressure sensors were super useful for the first 20,000 miles I had my 2007 Chevrolet Impala, but now they don’t really work. I am at 45,000 miles and I have had the light reset and the sensors fixed twice and now the light just turns on and off as it pleases. I am not very happy with this, obviously, but it is far from a devastating problem. Will this prevent my car from passing a state-required inspection?

A: The tire pressure monitor on your vehicle c...

The tire pressure monitor on your vehicle can detect variations along with low tire pressures. In order to fully check your system you could check your light function. If the light comes on and stays on then you have a low tire pressure condition. If light comes on and stays on then goes out after driving awhile then you have a low tire that when heated up from driving gets into the normal range. If the light comes on and blinks then this indicates the system is having a fault and cannot communicate with sensors. If you are having low tire pressure issues you should have the rims checked for problems with the tire seating area for damage or corrosion or a tire for leaking from damaged bead area or other leakage. If you are having communication issues with sensors then you may have a problem with the radio antenna that doubles as a receiver from the sensors. A diagnostics of the sensors and antenna can be done by certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to determine if it a bad sensor or the antenna receiver. The scan of the body control module will determine the, if any, repairs needed.