Q: Timming belt snapped

I will like to repair my car. I can't afford payments. Is it worth repairing. I had the timming belt replaced, but that was it. Car still wont run.

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

I’m sorry to hear that this happened to you. This vehicle has what’s called an interference motor. When the timing belt broke, the valves inside the motor were contacted by the pistons which caused them to become damaged. The only way to repair this is to remove the cylinder head and have it rebuilt. The logical way to look at it would be to look up the blue book value of the car and see if paying the cost of the repair makes sense, factoring in any other repairs the car may need. While buying a new car may not be an option, it would not be wise to spend all the money repairing the engine if the brakes and tires are all worn out and need to be replaced very soon as well. For example, if the car is worth $2500 and the repair will cost $2000, but it also needs 4 tires and brakes, those repairs in total would cost over $2500 making it an unwise investment. This is a tough decision to make, and unfortunately can only be decided by you. The best thing you can do at this point would be to have a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, perform a complete inspection on your vehicle to determine if any other issues can be found at this time. Hopefully this information can help you make your decision of whether to repair the car or not.