Q: Timing Chain Cover Leaking

After my car was serviced at the Honda dealership, I was notified that my timing chain cover was leaking and they recommend that I get it resealed.

I understand that this is probably highly related to how major the leak was, the dealership did not seem to indicate that it was criticritical or that it needed to be fixed immediy. Is this something that needs to get fixed really soon or is it less impotant.

I also wanted some advice on resealing/repairing vs full replacement and typical costs associated.

In addition I am curious about replacing the timing chain as well. I am under the impression that timing chains don't really wear out and don't need to be replaced like timing belts. Is this correct?

If they do need to get replaced, since I am passed 100000 miles and have not had the chain replaced, might it make since to have it done at the same time?

You’re correct, it really does depend on the severity of the leak. However, if you keep an eye on your engine oil level, you can continue driving your car with a leaking timing cover. When you do decide to have the cover gasket replaced, there’s really no reason to replace the chain while you’re in there. Timing chains are designed to last the life of the vehicle and are quite reliable on engines such as yours. Also keep in mind, YouMechanic provides excellent timing cover gasket replacement service at your home or office.

3. Timing Chain Cover Leaking