Q: Timing?

My car can only reach speeds of like 20 to 30 mph and when I start the car and let it idol my headers glow red, I was wondering if this was a timing problem. Thanks .

A: Normally, when the headers start to glow, i...

Normally, when the headers start to glow, it is a sign that there is a restriction. Typically, the headers will not begin to glow until high rpm’s are reached, which from a theoretical standpoint, are telling you that they are reaching their flow potential.

I would say that it isn’t completely impossible that a combination of factors can’t cause your issue, but I would start off by taking a look at the catalytic convertors. When they plug up, and don’t allow the exhaust to escape, the pressure and friction will cause the header pipes to begin to glow prematurely.

You may try to unbolt the headers from the collector, and see if this fixes the issue. If you need assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come diagnose your loss of power and headers firsthand to avoid any unnecessary repairs.