Q: Timing Belt popped

I have a 97 honda crv, I was going about about 35 mph when the timing belt popped. How likely is it that the valves are bent or that I will have to replace anything else other than timing belt? From experience is it most likely, less likely or am I in good shape. I ask because if I have to replace valves or anything else I would rather just buy a new car

Hi there:

In most cases when the timing belt breaks while the engine is running, it tends to damage cylinder head hardware first; including valves, retainers, keepers and push rods. It’s very difficult to give you an honest estimate as to what might be the percentage; however, it’s more than likely that some internal engine damage may have occurred.