Q: Timing belt issues

I was told that it is a major waste of time and money to replace my broken timing belt on my galant because 99.999% of the time when the timing belt goes out it destroys the motor and once you get the belt put on it will throw a rod or something else major is that accurate?

It is true, your car has an interference motor and it has most likely caused a significant amount of internal damage when the belt broke. It has 225,000 miles on it which means your car potentially has many others issues as well, unless you have stayed on top of any issues as they occurred. As for whether it is a waste to repair it is up to you to decide.

The cost of this repair is likely going to exceed the price of the car if it were sold to a private party. Using this metric, which many people do, it isn’t worth it. But this is only one perspective. If you have fond memories of this car and would really like to keep it, then only you can decide whether it is worth it to you. Consider the tens of thousands some spend on old cars. None of those cars can recover the amount of money spent on them, but people still spend a lot of money making them look good.

Personally, I would get an estimate for what the worst case scenario would be to repair your car. With that, I would go shopping for a car in that price range and see what is available. If you do this, I think it will help you decide if it is worth it or not. While your at it, look and see what a 2003 Galant is selling for.

If you decide to buy another car, you can book a Pre-purchase car inspection to make sure your potential buy is a good one.

Good luck. And remember, only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

3. Timing belt issues