Q: time belt

A week ago I started hearing some sounds from my engine...I went to my mechanic he told it's because of time belt and also he told me not to drive until I fix but I don't have any other option than to drive...I wanna fix it asap possible....may b in 2 or 3 days ....so I want a clear idea from u guys that is it OK to drive with the speed of 40 km/hr because the synchronization between rpm and odometer is not getting perfect.....the rpm goes up but the odometer doesn't but then after few secs it becomes good....

A: Unfortunately it is impossible to even gues...

Unfortunately it is impossible to even guess how far or long you can drive the vehicle for. If it is the timing belt itself making noise, then odds are it is because it has stretched and/or frayed considerably. If that’s the case, the mechanic is correct in telling you not to drive it until it is replaced. If the timing belt breaks while the engine is running or cranking, you will damage the engine internally. Pistons and valves will collide, at the very least bending the valves, if not damaging the pistons as well. Also, it is recommended you replace whatever parts that are in line with the timing belt such as tensioners, water pump, etc. Since they have to be removed to replace the timing belt anyways, it makes sense to replace the old parts with now, rather than just put old parts back on that may fail a short time later. If you’d like, a certified YourMechanic technician can come to your location to perform a timing belt replacement on your vehicle and make any additional recommendations in regards to your vehicle.