Q: Ticking noise during quick acceleration

My vehicle has gone around 100,000 miles. It has an automatic transmission. The problem happens usually at lower speed around 35 mph while I apply the gas pedal quickly. Then the ticking sound would be noticeable and I'd be able to feel it in the gas pedal as well. It happens during quick acceleration but I'm not pressing the pedal to the floor, but apply it normally. But I press it quickly on and off and there is the loud ticking noise. Could this be just the sound of automatic shifting or an issue with the transmission? I checked the tranny fluid and it is not black or has a burnt smell, but it is dark though. What do you think the problem is? I appreciate your advice.

If you are using an oil bath type air filter it could be the cause of the problem. The oil in the filter can contaminate and coat the mass airflow sensor and throttle plates with oil. This will cause all sorts of drive symptoms and transmission shifting issues and may lead to premature transmission clutch failure.

If you are using the filter in question then the manufacture recommends having the filter replaced with a factory dry style one. Also, have the mass airflow sensor and throttle body cleaned. If the mass airflow sensor is still causing problems after cleaning, it will have to be replaced. Note that any transmission problems may now be signs of damages, this will have to be fixed by a transmission repair shop.

I’d recommend having the car looked at by a qualified technician, they will be able to diagnose the noise firsthand and find out what exactly is causing it.