Q: Thunderstorm caused intake to flood into engine and car stalled

I was told that my car needed to have the air intake and the computer chips replaced, which the auto shop did. However, they placed them very low, within 1 foot from the ground. We had a serious thunderstorm and the streets were flooded. When I tried to drive my car, it instantly stalled. There wasn’t even time to put on my brakes. It was So fortunate that no one was behind me or they would have hit me. The auto repair shop told me that the intake had sucked up the rain water into the car’s engine and that is what caused my car to stall. Do you agree with their assessment and can you give me any new information about what else they should look for? Thanks.

Hello. This does sound like a very accurate assessment of what may have occurred. If water got sucked into the engine then it can definitely cause it to stall. You will be lucky though if the water did not cause any damage to the engine.

Typically, if the engine sucks up water it can damage it internally which would require a new engine. It sounds like you may have gotten just enough water to wet a few sensors and the air filter which caused the stall.

I’d suggest getting your vehicle inspected by a certified technician who can diagnose your stalling condition and fix it accordingly.