Q: Thumping when going into first gear. If I bypass first and start off in second and then change up to drive it's ok.

Thumps into first gear if I bypass first and start off in second gear then change up to drive all the other gears work ok and it changes down ok including first when slowing down and stopping

Hello, the harsh 1st gear engagement you describe is likely the electronic pressure control solenoid failing. Although you have a work-around by starting in 2nd gear, the problems with internal control pressures will start damaging other parts. I would have a reputable transmission shop perform a diagnosis on the transmission; which will include checking the transmission line pressure to confirm this diagnosis, with a fluid/filter change. If you’d like a second opinion on this, have one of our mobile technicians come out to your location and diagnose the issue with your gears firsthand.

3. Thumping when going into first gear. If I bypass first and start off in second and then change up to drive it's ok.