Q: Thumping noise during acceleration but not at high speeds on a '99 Eclipse

When I accelerate at a low speed, my '99 Eclipse sometimes gets a thumping noise from the right front. Thoughts on what it could be and where should I start looking? I don't hear the sound at full speed even though I am hitting bumps.

A: Sometimes when you accelerate and hear a th...

Sometimes when you accelerate and hear a thumping sound, a lot of times, that's a strut mount. The strut itself is mounted under the car. The strut mount is made of metal and rubber. The rubber would often wear and when you give it a big push it will thump a lot of times.

Also, check out my video "Change broken motor mounts." It shows how to check them, too. You jack up the bottom of the engine and jack a piece of wood. As it rises up, you check if any of the motor or transmission mounts are broken. The transmission mounts can make a thumping noise, too. Check that also. If you would like to have a professional take care of this service for you, a technician from YourMechanic can diagnose the sound and determine what needs repair.