Q: Throttle body sizes

will a four cylinder throttle body work on a six cylinder car.

Hi there. A throttle body is designed to flow a specifically measured amount of volume in terms of air and fuel relative to the engine’s fuel needs. In this case, you are talking about installing a throttle body designed for a four cylinder engine on a six cylinder engine.

This is not advisable due to the lack of fuel volume that a smaller throttle body will flow relative to the appropriate size throttle body for that particular application. I would recommend installing the correct throttle body for that particular engine as these can also vary quite a bit even between six cylinder to six cylinder, four cylinder to four cylinder, and eight cylinder to eight cylinder due to the fact that various engines have different fuel needs depending on cubic inch displacement, intake, camshaft design, ignition timing, etc. If you would like to have this done, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to replace the throttle body with the recommended part.