Q: Third gear crunching noise

I have no issues with my car when the engine is cold. However, when it warms up, there is a noticeable crunching noise in the third gear. It occurs when I shift gears while the engine is revving high. How serious is this problem?

Hello. This is usually caused by either low fluid in the transmission or due to a failure in one of the synchronizers.

I usually check the fluid in the transmission first to see if it is low or worn. If it is either then I change the fluid first. If the fluid is fine I check it for metal. If there is metal in the fluid then then transmission has a serious internal issue.

If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the noise you’re hearing and fix it accordingly.

3. Third gear crunching noise