Q: Thermostat needle going to just past hot side

When I sit at light or drive-thru for several minutes the thermostat needle goes to the hot side it goes just a bit past the middle line once I start driving it goes back down. Checked fluid and it is full. It's been 3 or 4 yrs since changing fluid.

Hi, thanks for writing in. This is a sign of a faulty or sticking thermostat which is what regulates the coolant flow in and out of your car engine. When this is stuck and closed, it can cause the coolant not to circulate properly, which will cause the temperature to overheat as a result. This can also happen when your radiator has passages that may be clogged which can be fixed by having it flushed. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to perform a cooling system service.