Q: Thermometer replacement

The thermostat on my car went out so I bought one and replaced it myself. For this particular make and model, I was offered two types--either for temperatures up to 180 or up to 195. I chose the 195 thermometer, which I installed and it works fine. Did I chose the right one?

Yes, the original equipment (OE) thermostat is designed to open at 195 degrees, so you chose the right one. Those other ratings are alternate temperatures designed to keep your vehicle running at a different operating range that OE. For example, the 180 degree thermostat will open sooner, allowing your engine to run cooler than designed. This is not recommended for a factory stock vehicle that is in good shape.

Should you ever need any further cooling system repair, I suggest you call the team at YourMechanic.

3. Thermometer replacement