Q: There is trouble locking the left rear passenger door - 1995 Mercedes-Benz E320

My daughter claims that the left rear passenger door is unable to be secured and that manually locking and unlocking it from the inside causes the car to have to override the locks so that it turns on. I am guessing that this is some sort of child safety precaution but I cannot see the car since I live in a different state. Can you help?

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Open the left passenger rear door and check to see what setting the child lock is on. If the lock is not on and it is set to unlock, then move the lever to the lock position and the door will not open from the inside of the car.

If the door opens from the inside of the car with the child safety lock engaged, then the safety lock has broken inside the door and needs to be replaced. If you need assistance repairing the child safety lock, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can inspect the locks to see what has gone wrong.

• There is trouble locking the left rear passenger door - 1995 Mercedes-Benz E320