Q: The truck is going through about a small bottle of power steering fluid a month. When it is low, it makes a whining noise

Could it be anything besides the power steering pump needing replaced?

A: Your power steering pump may be leaking and...

Your power steering pump may be leaking and will whine when it is low on fluid. You should locate the leak in the system before you condemn the power steering pump. You may have a leaking steering gear or power steering pressure or return hose. Once you locate the leaking component it should be replaced and the rest of the system rechecked for leaks. The best way to find a leak is to clean the entire system with soapy water to remove oil leak evidence. Add oil leak dye to the power steering pump and run the vehicle and drive it on a road test to operate the system and then recheck for the leak using the dye leak detector to locate leak or leaks in the system.