Q: The timing belt broke while I was driving. Can a mechanic estimate what additional damage the broken belt caused upfront?

The blue book value of the car may be less than a repair but the garage where I towed the car is not able to give me a estimate and suggested I take it to Mercedes dealer. Is the ancillary damage to values or fuel pump or whatever evident without actually replacing the belt, or it is difficult to get a real number unless they start working on it? I'm trying to decide whether to donate the car or tow it somewhere else to get an estimate. I really would like to get the car running again but don't want to exceed the value of the car if possible.

3. The timing belt broke while I was driving. Can a mechanic estimate what additional damage the broken belt caused upfront?