Q: The sale ad says this: "Was rebuilt from top end. Lower end makes noise and won't engage." What does it mean in cost of repairs?

It's a super clean 2003 LR Discovery but the above quotes are all the ad says. It's only asking $1,000, but it's also 100 miles away and, if I'm reading correctly, I'd need a guesstimate on what a bottom end rebuild on one of these might cost before driving all the way out there for nothing. Thanks!!

Hi...the most efficient thing to do is schedule a pre-purchase vehicle inspection at the conclusion of which you will have a much better idea of the total vehicle condition not just the engine. The ad language you are inquiring about is not "standard", that is while the phrase "lower end" could refer to the cylinder block (and internals), the phrase, "won’t engage" might be a reference to the transmission, so again, it really has to be inspected in total, in person by a professional to determine exactly what is required to restore the vehicle. Broadly, and very approximately, if say the "lower end" of the engine were ruined and you need to install a new short block, or re-build what you have, you are looking at thousands of dollars in costs. Keep in mind, if it is something that you want to restore, you could make the transaction essentially "risk free" for you by offering, say, $500 simply because if you bought it and changed your mind, the scrap value alone is probably around $500. If I were you I would get a professional inspection and see what the total vehicle condition is; additionally, if you are desirous of economic, but professional repair services to get the vehicle back into good condition, YourMechanic is a good option for you.

3. The sale ad says this: "Was rebuilt from top end. Lower end makes noise and won't engage." What does it mean in cost of repairs?