Q: The RPMs are extremely high when I try to shift gears.

For about 2 weeks now, the RPMs are very high when I shift gears. It sounds like I'm going way faster than what I actually am. This same thing happens when I drive uphill. I checked my transmission fluid just to rule something out, and the levels are fine. I also tried putting my car in a higher gear with the parking break on, and the engine doesn't stall when I let off the clutch. I don't hear any grinding when I shift gears. I'm not very car savvy, but I had my mom look under the hood while I shifted gears (the engine was off and the parking break was on) and found the box where the gear shift must happen. There is a mesh-type tube with a white plastic top that looks like it's supposed to screw in somewhere that is just sticking out. I believe the tube is coming from the box where the gears shift. I have pictures as well of the tube. Could this be my problem? Thank you so much!

Hello, One thing to keep in mind is that there are thee points of reference or sources of signal when the vehicle is shifting gears up or down. These are: the idle control valve, the throttle position sensor and the VSS speed sensor. If any of these are malfunctioning, this may cause the RPM’s to fluctuate as you describe when shifting. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your car.

3. The RPMs are extremely high when I try to shift gears.