Q: The power locks and windows will not work when a door is open.

My power locks and windows will not work when a door is open on the car. When every door is closed it works fine. What could cause this issue?

The wiring to the switches that control the locks and windows travels through the door and enters the car body through a flexible, usually rubber, conduit. Over time, repeated opening and closing of the door(s) causes stress (mechanical flexing) of the wires going through the conduit. It is not unusual for a wire to break as a consequence. If a wire has broken, or is just hanging on by a thread, when the door is closed there still could be a connection but opening the door breaks the connection for sure because when the door is open that is the point when the wire is most extended and thus stressed. An electrical components diagnostic would rule wire faults in or out. If that is the issue, the wire has to be replaced and the mechanic who does the diagnostic will estimate the cost. If the fault with the power locks and windows is not due to a break in the wires, the circuit powering the locks, and windows, is simply traced by a mechanic until the fault is found.